Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Knitting history: first FOs

I am trying to go back and document all of my knitted (and otherwise crafted) projects. Here are my first two knitting FOs. The first was this hat with whales on it. The pattern is a Fiber Trends pattern called Whales & Sails.

I began, as I always used to do, intending no recipient at all, since you never can tell how long something is going to take. (I still prefer to take this position if I just want to make a project; it's different if you decide first you want to make a gift and then decide on something that's doable by the deadline.) It was my first, and it had a provisional cast-on with a hem, and colorwork, and it was done in the round. It was a good first project, and Molly helped me the whole way. As it turns out, I made a medium size which was a bit too large for a baby (I think the recipient in this photo is about 1 year old).

I was so excited about how the first one turned out, I immediately started a second one. (And there was another child in the family - didn't want to favor one over the other.) This one I did in the small size.

I did both of them in a washable cotton/acrylic blend (it was nice and soft) on size 9 circulars, 16", and then dpns. Come to think of it, the circulars are the same ones I gave to SIL for her first knitting project! So first yarn and first needles both went to my two knitting protoges! How fitting!

3 comments:

FemiKnitMafia said...

Good lord, those were your first two project? Were you born with needles in your hands? I was expected a nice holey scarf. I'm impressed!

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Ah, what cute hats. Really good for 1st time projects.

Beth S. said...

I would never have guessed that that was your first colorwork project! The stranding looks just about perfect! (And the whales are adorable. ;-)