Thursday, April 24, 2008

Ridiculously tiny sock


Ridiculously tiny sock
Originally uploaded by knitswithasilentk
Does it count as a FO? Not sure. It's about twice as big as the Wee Tiny Sock, but still not really big enough for even a tiny baby. Maybe a 3 pounder, but my baby is already 6 lbs. (according to my OB's estimate).

Pattern: Playful Pairs, from Babies & Toddlers: A Knitter's Dozen (also available as free pdf here).
Yarn: Blue Moon Fiber Arts, Socks that Rock mediumweight, colorway Undertoe.
Needles: Lantern Moon hardwood (dark colored - mahogony?), size 1/2.25mm.

The yarn weight indicated in the pattern is "2-3-4", which I took to mean 2 = fingering with 1 = laceweight, but in the back of the book, it does say they mean 1 = fingering and 2 = sportweight.

So I'm back to the drawing board. I started on Little 16 Newborn Socks last night with the same yarn and needles (size 1), but it was coming out ginormous. I frogged it this morning. I don't really like to knit with size 0 (it's probably because I have Brittany birch needles and they bend) so I wanted to stay in size 1.

I think maybe tonight I'll give another shot at the Playful Pairs pattern, but this time in sportweight. I'll try making spiral socks to match the Spiral Hat, only in size 3 needles.

In other news, the infant car seat is correctly installed in my car. The Sweetie read all of the instructions and installed it, and this morning a very nice CHP officer inspected it and approved it. Yay!

3 comments:

sheep#100 said...

Good for you guys.
It is scary how many carseats are incorrectly installed.

Anonymous said...

It's funny how small their feet really are - half of that 6 pounds is noggin.

Stitch-n-Snitch said...

I use STR lightweight to make an infant-sized sock on US 1s. My gauge is about 9 sts/in. Thanks for trying my pattern. :)