Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Sewing FO: Christening gown, bonnet, and slip
I decided I'd make the gown. I hadn't followed a sewing pattern since I was a little girl, but I was pretty sure I could do it, and I got encouragement from a friend who also works at a fabric store. She took a look at the pattern McCall's 4865 and told me it was definitely doable. In fact, I did a dry run of the bonnet to make sure I remembered how to follow a pattern.
I made the size L, because my baby grew so fast! I did the cutting before my mom arrived 2 weeks before the christening, and sewed each day while she watched TLD. I couldn't have done it without her! I omitted the lace, and added pintucks to the bodice. (I pintucked some fabric, and then cut the pattern shape out afterward - worked great!)
Instead of the pattern's bonnet, however, I wanted a handkerchief bonnet. I scoured antique stores ("junk shops") for attractive old linen hankies. I do know how to tat, but I didn't want the pressure of having to finish tatting a hankie when I hadn't ever made one. I found a lovely linen handkerchief with a simple tatted edging, in wonderful shape, for about $12. I found instructions on the web (not the ones I linked to; I can't find the page I used anymore) and sewed it. For the ribbon ties, I used the ribbon from one of the gifts. It was pale blue and satin, and I made the ties long - I figured he'd only wear it while we were there, so strangulation wouldn't be much of a risk.
They all turned out beautifully, and the priest even announced to everyone that I'd made the gown. The gown and slip are on display at the fabric store; this spring I hope to enter them in the county fair.
Here's closeup of the bonnet (now disassembled, pressed and ready for his wedding...):
And another of the bodice of the gown: