Thursday, August 30, 2007

Beginning of Trellis


Beginning of Trellis
Originally uploaded by knitswithasilentk
I cast on for a sleeve last night. 'Cuz, you know, a sleeve is a swatch. This pattern (Trellis, from Knitty)has gauge for "in pattern" - which is cabled. Now, I recall in Knitter's Almanac while EZ is talking about gauge, she goes on a bit about gauge "in pattern" being a bit contrived - the person probably knit the thing and then measured how many stitches in the pattern there were, but it wasn't really a practical way to figure out the gauge.

So I swatched (gasp!) with seed stitch, which is the border stitch, and I got pleasing fabric with size 5 needles. The only sort-of hitch is that it's sportweight instead of worsted. I'll make the largest size, which I think will either fit this year (or hopefully will still fit next year). My knits, especially for babies, are usually on the big side.

After all that about the gauge "in pattern" or not in pattern, I'm just doing my own thing after all!

The yarn is so beautiful. I was running around Knit This, Purl That looking for a worsted-ish yarn that was washable. I was running out of options, until I found this: Chasing Rainbows Dyeworks yarn, in such wonderful tweedy colored blues. The color is a bit darker than the photo shows. I imagine it with little woven-leather buttons - so manly and cozy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I should check out that shop the next time we're visiting our relatives in Danville. It looks like they have some good stuff.