Wednesday, July 25, 2007

More stash enhancement

My church has an annual fundraising event, and last year we went for the first time. I saw that some of the auction items were fun fur scarf and hat sets, and I immediately thought, "I could make those! I could make something better!"

I had seen an Online Linie 194 Ruffle scarf at a LYS in my in-laws town, but didn't get a chance to fully investigate. So when The Yarn Harlot blogged about making one, and said they were easy and fast, I knew I was on to something.

I ordered two colorways from Fuzzy Mabel. They were shipped quickly, and included a note about the color. The one on the right is black/purple, but the one on the left is "navy/blue/sky" - as you can see, it's a turquoise color of sky. Well, the note said that if I didn't like the color, she'd send me a postage paid envelope to return it and she'd send me another color if I wanted.

I think it's just fine, seeing as I didn't need sky-colored yarn. But it was really nice, I thought, that the person behind Fuzzy Mabel cared so much. It was my first time shopping there, and I just wanted to share my experience - they certainly deserve more business. The yarns were also shipped in a plastic bag with one of those handles that snap the bag closed - very handy!

The original pattern (pdf) calls for 4 balls, but some blogs report that a nice scarf can be had for only 2, so I bought 3 of each color. At $10.25/ball (free shipping from Fuzzy Mabel through July!), I thought 4 was a bit excessive for a fundraiser - with labor being free and all. The key is to fetch more money for the scarves than they actually cost - otherwise, I could just donate the money instead.

So I'm looking forward to some mindless knitting. Maybe I'll even get more for Christmas presents, as the Harlot suggests....

2 comments:

kathy b said...

Al made one last winter/spring. VERY easy. very cute.

Brenda said...

Excellent idea! Great colors too. I bet they will sell for a good price.