Thursday, January 18, 2007

UFOs Part II: The Ones that Didn't Want To Be Finished

These are... well, they're not quite as old as the Old UFOs. All but the lace scarf were begun in 2006, in fact. They're just sitting around, waiting to be finished. Which I consider a worse affront than those set down years ago.

The first is this lace scarf. It's a simple lace scarf pattern - herringbone - from Cherry Tree Hill. On my way to Tahoe for 4th of July in 2004 (or was it 2003?) I stopped at Lofty Lou's. My MIL (who didn't at the time knit, but I started her on it this Christmas!) was with me, so I made it a super fast browse. And there was this scarf, and a basket of Possum Lace yarn. I don't think CTH sells it any more (it's not on their web site) but it's from Down Under (Australia or NZ) and not made of American possum fur, but their possum's fur, which is super soft. And I got it in this colorway, Peacock, and started it over that weekend. Then, I started commuting on a bus, and knitted it during the ride. But then my work moved so no more bus for me! The pattern is so simple, it's almost boring, really.

The next is the Heirloom Aran sweater. This was in the Spring 2004 Interweave Knitsbut is also available directly from Lisa Lloyd's web site. It was originally intended for a friend's baby, but the sweater took a long time to make, and I decided to save it for myself (for an eventual baby) or at least for later. I bought my friend a gift instead. This was my second project made with Schaefer Anne, and it's just wonderful. The red bled when I blocked it, but I emailed Schaefer and they suggested rinsing in a vinegar solution, which I will try when I block it when it's done. It needs sewing together, then picking up around the neck and finishing it, and then 3 buttons on the shoulder.

Next, we have the Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino baby bolero. I started this as perhaps a replacement for the Heirloom Aran sweater, but it went so slowly I ended up buying the gift, as I mentioned. This is the cover project for Debbie Bliss Baby Cashmerino 2. The pattern seems a bit wonky - sometimes imprecise or unclear. I love the yarn, but I might skip the DB patterns for a while. These need sewing together and then you have to knit the edging perpendicular to the edge, while attaching it at the same time. Sounds hard and fiddly.

Finally, my Green Gable sweater, in KnitPicks Shine Sport. I love this yarn. It's soft, it's machine washable, it comes in lots of bright colors. It's great for baby knits. I followed the pattern as specified, but I did add waist shaping as some described on the KAL. Did a fiddly bind-off because the Knitter's Book of Finishing Techniques recommended it for ribbing. It's in time-out because I went to finish the sleeve, and I didn't like it. I think it needs some more rows first. And there was a big hole in the armpit where it needs some assistance.

So there you have it. The 4 contemporary UFOs, and the 3 old UFOs. I think for the Bustalong challenge I will resolve to finish the 2 red baby sweaters. That's in addition to the Red scarf project (due January 31) and the Pea pod sweaters (due March 1), which don't count; they're WIPs, and at least one chemo cap in fun fur (due February 28).

1 comment:

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Oh you must finish that lace scarf. It is going to be so beautiful!