Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Cape Cod


Cape house
Originally uploaded by knitswithasilentk
Isn't this the most typical picture of Cape Cod?

We went to Cape Cod and met up with my dad, who grew up there. We were planning to go to Nantucket on the first day, but when we got to the ferry, the trip had been cancelled for bad weather (the guy literally said: "I didn't think you'd like it.") With a talent for seasickness on The Sweetie's side of the family, we were glad. Instead, we drove all the way to to Provincetown, had lunch, and drove back to the house, and then took a long beach hike. The cape is "protected" near Chatham by a long sand bar, but winter storms keep sculpting it. We walked out along a beach until we got to a place where the sea had cut over the bar a few years ago, and then back along the inner side. It was a really nice (long) walk.

Next day, we went to Nantucket (calm seas this time) and spent almost all of our time at the Whaling Museum. New England is really good at museums! We all learned a lot about whaling and life in the 1700s and 1800s.

And they had several beautiful specimens of swifts made from whalebones. On the way back, since we were in Harwich Port, I requested we drive by Adventures In Knitting, which was, sadly, closed.

Adventures in Knitting

The next day, The Sweetie's parents dropped us off at the Braintree T station so we could head back to Boston. But on our way off the Cape, we stopped at the Sandwich Glass Museum. The Sweetie and I had been there before, but the glassblower was sick so we didn't see the demonstration. It was so good we stayed for another show! And because I volunteered during the demo, I got a free souvenir - a pressed-glass suncatcher. So if you go, volunteer! This was a really good museum of beautiful glass things.

We also (on the way down to the Cape) stopped in Plymouth for lunch and took in the Pilgrim Hall Museum. It's small, but it has artifacts that were or were thought to have been brought over on the Mayflower and/or used by early colonists. They have a knitted stocking (approx. 17 sts/inch) that dates back to the 1600s. No photos - photography was strictly prohibited and they themselves don't seem to have a photo. But go to their web site and check out the felted beaver hat!

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm terribly jealous. I grew up part-time on Nantucket but haven't been back since after my dad's death in '95. I miss it.

Anonymous said...

Cape Cod is one of our favorite places! I'm sorry I didn't know you were going there. The Ladybug Knitting shop is a great stop. :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim,
My name is Jane and I'm with Dwellable.
I was looking for blog posts about Harwich Port to share on our site and I came across your post...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at jane(at)dwellable(dot)com.
Hope to hear from you :)
Jane