Tuesday, June 26, 2007

FO: Odessa hat


Odessa hat
Originally uploaded by knitswithasilentk
I heard that someone I know got cancer, and while I don't know if she needs hats, I cast on for one just in case. I've been wanting to do the Odessa hat for a long time, and I even found beads that exactly matched the Shine Sport I had left over from the Pea Pod sweaters.

Specs:
Needles: Size 6 and 4, 16" circulars. I think the 6 is a Susan Bates Silvalume. The Size 4 is a nickel circular, although I don't think it's an Addi. ETA: Size 6 DPNs, Brittany Birch, 5".
Yarn: KnitPicks Shine Sport, color Apple.
Beads: size 6 beads, purchased at the local bead shop.
Pattern: Odessa, by Grumperina. Hey, I should submit to her gallery!

Notes: This is a great pattern. It's easy to memorize, and I got fascinated watching the stitches go off to the left. She cleverly replaces left-leaning decreases with left-leaning double decreases to close to the crown, so even though it's getting smaller, the dominant left-angled columns continue. Yay!

ETA: My only wish is that I'd been 100% successful avoiding laddering when I switched to DPNs. The Brittany DPNs are too short and I was not being vigilant.

5 comments:

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

I know a few girls that have knit that hat and loved it. I love the shade of green you used and wow, it's free when it's knit with left-overs! Bet your friend will love it ... because it's from you.

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Don't worry. When the hat is stretched over a head, the laddering shouldn't be noticed at all.

KT said...

What a pretty color!

I hope your friend is doing well - she will have a beautiful hat to lift her spirits!

RC said...

I knit that last summer and LOVE it! Such a fun pattern.
you will never see the ladders when its sitting on a head, especially after its been worn a bit.
The beads are perfect with the color too!

Anonymous said...

Lovely hat! What a thoughtful gift for your friend. : )