Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Trellis stalled


DSCF0028
Originally uploaded by knitswithasilentk
I worked a bit on a sleeve for Trellis - thank goodness! I think I shall have to remember this. Even if you've swatched, a sleeve is a bigger swatch, especially when you haven't swatched the pattern yet.

I am loving the pattern- have just reached the point of memorizing it. And I had a false start after several rows because I was doing the mock cables (knit second stitch tbl, knit 2 tog tbl) from the front instead of from the back, which resulted in a horizontal bar of yarn obscuring the left twist. So here I am at 2.5 repeats, and it was starting to look...really tall. And it was scheduled for 5 repeats (with increases), then knit for 12 inches. This was already 8 inches long at 3 repeats!

So I pulled out ruler and calculator, and while I expected the stitch gauge to be more stitches per inch, the row gauge was way off- not even proportional to the difference in stitch gauge.

So I'm conflicted. I love this yarn, and I love how it's knitting up. If I could find another Aran styled baby sweater to make, that's what I'd do (off to search Ravelry, eh?).

I also swatched with what was left of the Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted, left over from Dashing. The problem is, it just doesn't have the crisp stitch definition this does. It does, however, get pretty close to row and stitch gauge.

Any suggestions?

DSCF0030

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, drat. That tweedy Chasing Rainbows yarn look so good in the cables. Any way you can tweek the pattern to make it work or would that be too complicated?

Brenda said...

Too bad! It looks so good in the tweed! Can you change the rate of increases on the sleeve and make it work out at your row gauge?