Friday, May 18, 2007

Random Friday


Sunset sky
Originally uploaded by knitswithasilentk.
Random because Brenda tagged me with a meme!

I took this photo on my birthday in Hawaii, looking across Kailua-Kona bay towards the King Kamehameha hotel. The line of small white dots is where the luau is going on (we saw it two nights before).

PSA: Mistress Stash Enhancer has moved to a new blog address:
http://amandacathleen.wordpress.com/

Here is the meme:

Each person tagged gives 7 random facts about themselves. Those tagged need to write in their blogs 7 facts, as well as the rules of the game. You need to tag seven others and list their names on your blog. You have to leave those you plan on tagging a note in their comments so they know that they have been tagged and need to read your blog.

The 7 Facts:
  1. I cut my hair every 4-5 years (10" worth of growth) and donate it to Locks of Love. I think I've done this 3 times now. In between, I have it trimmed about once a year. I have had fewer than 10 people ever cut my hair.

  2. When I was in college, I broke my leg while teaching myself to rollerblade (I wanted to go rollerblading with my then-boyfriend) (The injury occurred about 25 minutes after I first put on rollerblades. Yes, I am precocious.). The resulting scar appears to be from surgery to repair my acl, so people who recognize it think I'm athletic. Then I have to admit that it was due to a clumsy accident rather than overuse.

  3. My second and third toes are longer than my big toe. Thus my feet have round ends.

  4. I hate to exercise, but love to dance. My weekly ballet class is my exercise program. (I also usually walk daily.)

  5. I started knitting because I wanted to make lace. On a trip to Ireland, I was in a folk museum and they sold lace kits. It never occurred to me that lace was something a person could make (not a machine or big manufacturing process). That was Carrickmacross lace (I did finish the sampler but nothing after that). Since then, I've learned to tat, crochet, and knit lace and I've dabbled in bobbin lace as well. I've started collecting bits of nice lace of different types at antique shops. At least it's mostly small!

  6. When I was 5, I wished I had blonde hair and curls like Shirley Temple. I still wish that when I have children they will have blonde hair and curls. That would be surprising, given that I am Asian.

  7. I love vegetables. Asparagus, spinach, broccoli, snap peas, kale, chard - I love them all. I have always loved all foods. Two exceptions: I once had quail wrapped in grape leaves in England - I left the table hungry for the first time in my life. And I tasted poi in Hawaii, at the luau. Not wild about it, wouldn't walk far for it. But it did have a "nourishing" flavor.
I am tagging (but only if you want to!) Rhonda, Judy, Julie, Courtney, Debby, and Kathy, and anyone else who wants to do this meme. You're it!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

hello - you had your birthday while you were in Hawaii? Why did we not know this ahead of time?

Courtney said...

One of my closest friends is Chinese and after growing up in Minnesota (land of many blondes), she too, imagines herself having blonde children.

kathy b said...

Well, you are so sweet. I love being tagged.

I too donated my hair!

Brenda said...

Thanks for doing the meme!

What a beautiful sunset. Happy Birthday a little late!

I have a blond, blue-eyed friend who married an Asian man. She always claimed her giving up on the chance of blond, blue-eyed children proved how much she loved him.

I think it's cool that you are so into lace and have begun collecting it.

Anonymous said...

what a way to celebrate your Birthday! Lovely photo, ballet class sounds like fun! thanks for the shout out : )

Olga said...

Glad your back! My daughter gave to locks of too. Awesome trip, much envy here...

Rhonda the Stitchingnut said...

Hey, I got the SAME TOES!!!

And I love your #6 ... too funny. My Mom was a platinum blonde with blue eyes and wanted at least one of her 8 children to have brown eyes. Closest she got was me with Hazel, but she has grandchildren & great grandchildren with dark brown eyes instead.

Anonymous said...

I am loving your Hawaii photos and am extremely jealous that you were able to spend your birthday there! Also that you can visit Hawaii, when you get to live in California, sigh.

I didn't know you took ballet class! How long have you been doing that, and is it hard to find classes for adults? I think that would be so much fun.